This clock was presented to No 4 Company, the winners of the 1941 Inter Company Team Boxing Competition, by Lieutenant Colonel J.A. Longmore, the Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion from 1936 to 1941. Presumably the presentation was made shortly before his promotion to Colonel. He later rose to the rank of Brigadier.
Longmore was first appointed to the 1st Battalion in 1922 and was made Honorary Colonel from 1952-1962. His career and service to the Regiment mirrored that of his father, Colonel Sir Charles Longmore K.C.B. V.D. T.D., who was first commissioned in the Hertfordshire Rifle Volunteers in 1874 and was Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion The Hertfordshire Regiment from its establishment in 1908.
Colonel J.A. Longmore, August 1940